Transforming Your Indoor Air Quality From Poor To Good
Transform Your Air Quality
shop now
Blog Articles
5 min read

Dangers of Using Bleach to Kill Mold

Published on
December 9, 2022

If you think a few sprays of chemical cleaners will get the job of killing mold done, then you might want to think again. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) no longer suggest the use of chlorine bleach to treat mold problems.

While bleach can kill mold in impermeable places, it’s not the best solution for mold growth in porous surfaces, such as hardwood floors and drywall. Moreover, using bleach turns out to yield more risks than solutions to your mold problems. Learn the dangers of using bleach to kill mold and avoid the red flags as early as now.

What are the Dangers of Using Bleach to Kill Mold?

Bleach Encourages Toxic Mold Growth

Instead of ruling out the mold, applying bleach to the affected area only intensifies the growth of toxic fungi. Bleach solutions are mostly composed of water. When the chlorine disperses in the air, a lot of water stays behind. When you let the water sit on a porous surface like wood floors, you are creating the perfect environment for mold to grow.

Bleaching can be beneficial in cleaning sinks and tubs, but bleaching can do more harm than good when the mold spreads to other surfaces of your home. Because of their material and texture, porous surfaces can easily accumulate mold when filled with the watery remains.

Using Bleach Only Removes the Color, Not the Mold

Spraying bleach can eliminate the discoloration that results from mold growth. But just because the colors have disappeared doesn’t mean that the fungi are also eliminated. The mold remains such as the hyphae or roots will continue to thrive and spread wider on the surface.

It is vital not to overlook this, otherwise, you are just wasting your efforts by spraying the problem area. Bleaching only breaks down the build-up of mold, but it does not kill the whole population, making the surface still susceptible to mold growth.

Chlorine Bleach is Extremely Harmful

Bleach is not friendly to most wooden surfaces. Not only does it create another group of mold, but chlorine bleach also destroys the structure of the wood. It sabotages the strength of the wood component as the fibers break down due to the chemicals in bleach solutions.

Bleaching is also not advisable for metal surfaces. It can corrode the elements of the metal and destroy the whole structure. As a result, using bleach to kill mold is equivalent to saying goodbye to the integrity and value of your home. Bleaching can only create a bigger nuisance instead of solving a simple mold problem.

Bleach is Corrosive

Using bleach can be dangerous to your health — not to mention that of your family’s. As the formula evaporates, it releases chlorine gas that can trigger dangerous health risks such as damage to the eyes, lungs, and skin. Corrosive components like bleach must remain out of children’s reach.

Getting all wound up to remove mold buildup in your home is understandable. But you have to be careful when buying and applying mold treatment to eliminate the risk of unfortunate circumstances.

Bleach Loses Effectiveness Over Time

Chlorine bleach is known to lose its effectiveness more easily compared to expert-recommended mold eliminating solutions. If you are the kind of homeowner who wants to save money yet enjoy an efficient mold Remediation service, then the professionals of Pure Maintenance can help you out. The dry fogging process that we undertake is way more affordable and effective compared to the costs of spending on bleach or other conventional methods.

Seeing mold inside your home is indeed a nightmare. But with the right recommendations and proper treatment, you’ll have those annoying microorganisms out from your home in no time.